Pages

Tuesday 12 April 2016

The secret to growing huge basil plants

There is no secret trick really.

Since that bag of carrot seeds (you can read about them here), Lexi and I have done a lot of experimenting with herb propagation. We tend to buy herbs in pots, put them in a sunny spot on the kitchen windowsill, yet they never thrive.


After our first tomatoes were all killed by pests I read more about companion planting. One of my favourite food pairings is basil and tomato. Turns out it is a great plant pairing too.

So I got Lexi snipping away at our very sad looking basil plant in the kitchen. 


We put the cutting in a cup with water (I chose a clear cup so that Lexi could see the roots beginning to shoot) and changed the water every second day.


When the roots were nicely established and filling the cup it was time for planting. 

I'm not exaggerating when I say, it grows like a weed.


Things to remember about basil....

it likes well drained soil

it needs plenty of sun
and it needs to be pruned 


Lexi really enjoys pruning the basil and I get her to throw the bits in a bowl and wash it afterwards so that we can use the cuttings. We've had some lovely salads and now I am looking forward to experimenting with pesto (something Lexi loves to eat!).

Let us know if you have any success propagating herbs.

Happy growing!
Candice & Lexi



No comments:

Post a Comment